Astrill VPN is a Seychelles-based VPN service that offers about 300+ servers in 50+ countries. This public VPN service was founded in 2009 to meet the growing demand for personal VPN services among home users and travelers.
This VPN service targets travelers and foreigners who utilize the Astrill VPN service for secure and uncensored Internet access.
Hence, it is equipped with highly advanced security features and protocols, including OpenWeb, StealthVPN, RouterPro VPN, OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP, and Cisco IPSec.
Users of Astrill VPN also have access to their highly competent staff through live chat, email, and Skype, which is available 24/7.
Astrill VPN is undoubtedly one of the most advanced VPNs available, but its non-refundable price tag may not be the most appealing to everyone.
- Decent speed of VPN
- Top-notch security features
- Reliable for torrenting
- Exceptional customer support
- Not beginner-friendly
- A very high non-refundable cost
- Not suitable for all streaming platforms
- No security audits
Android, iOS, Linux, Mac, Router, Windows
Number of devices
Amount of servers
Astrill VPN Review
With an exponential increase in internet penetration in today’s world, an increase in data breaches is inevitable.
On the other hand, internet penetration has also raised awareness among people regarding cybersecurity, which prevents cyberattacks on computer information systems, hardware, networks, and data.
According to the latest research, by 2026, the worldwide cybersecurity market is expected to reach 345.4 billion dollars. As people become more aware of cyber-attacks, more money is being invested in cybersecurity infrastructure worldwide.
Using a VPN service can help you secure your digital devices by hiding your online activity in public and private networks. VPNs also provide other benefits like streaming and torrenting geo-restricted content.
However, there are a lot of VPN services to choose from, and every VPN might not be a suitable fit for you. This is why we have presented comprehensive reviews of VPN services at VPNsaver so that you’ll be able to choose the one that meets your requirements.
This article will answer all the questions you might have regarding Astrill VPN as it includes all the details of its features. Hence, keep reading if you want to find out whether it is a suitable choice for you or not.
Astrill VPN Pricing and plans
Like other VPNs we reviewed earlier, Astrill VPN also offers a free VPN version. However, this free version is only accessible for Android and is limited to one device. You also don’t get to choose protocols with this version, and the number of servers is limited.
The paid plans are divided into three tiers based on the purchase period. These three tiers are described below:
- 1 Month plan: This is the most expensive plan in which you will have to pay $25.00 for a one-month subscription.
- 6 Month plan: This plan is the most budget-friendly as it requires you to pay $100.00 every six months ($16.67 per month).
- 1 Year plan: If you buy the annual plan, it will be much more affordable since it costs a $150.00 yearly payment ($12.5 per month).
All of Astrill’s price plans have the same services; however, two add-ons are also offered, which are described below.
- Private IP address: Astrill VPN offers a dedicated IP address on a server solely used by you. This IP address is permanent for the duration of your membership. This feature will cost you an additional $5.00 per month.
- VIP package: For Asian clients and gamers, this service provides enhanced speed and minimal latency. On all servers, the VIP package allows traffic to be prioritized. Multi-hop VPN is included for enhanced protection. This feature will cost you an additional $10.00 per month.
This additional cost of advanced features over an already overpriced membership is not acceptable. Moreover, all the payments made for Astrill VPN subscriptions are non-refundable, and there is no money-back guarantee.
The payment methods are diverse, including payments from Credit and Debit cards, Bank Wire Transfer, Perfect Money, WeChat Pay, AliPay, PayPal, and Bitcoin. Thus, users of Astrill VPN can choose from many payment options.
Despite the wide variety of payment methods available, we think that Astrill VPN might not be a good choice for you if you’re looking for a budget-friendly VPN service.
Is Astrill VPN suitable for streaming?
No, we wouldn’t call Astrill VPN a convenient streaming service because of its inability to unblock many leading streaming sites.
Streaming isn’t mentioned anywhere on the company’s website, and the VPN doesn’t have any dedicated servers for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, or Disney+. Neither an app nor a setup instruction is available for the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
However, Astrill VPN works very efficiently to unblock the US Netflix library but doesn’t allow you to stream Netflix in any other region. It also doesn’t allow you to access BBC iPlayer, BritBox, HBO Max, or Disney+ if you’re in a location where it’s still unavailable.
Hence, we wouldn’t recommend Astrill VPN for streaming fans because it lacks specialized servers, a Smart DNS tool, and access to major streaming providers.
Is Astrill VPN safe to use?
Yes, Astrill VPN is safe to use because of its impressive security features. It offers a variety of protocols, including OpenWeb, StealthVPN, OpenVPN, and WireGuard, with the former two being Astrill VPN innovations.
The detail of these protocols is described below.
- OpenVPN and WireGuard: These two standard security protocols are highly recommended for usage. In terms of encryption, the former is set to AES-128-CBC by default, but you can adjust it to AES-192 or AES-256 if you like. You may also turn off encryption completely, which is beneficial for activities like streaming when performance is a key priority and security is not a problem. 😌
- OpenWeb: By default, it only handles traffic from standard web browsers and is designed to give faster surfing speeds by using military-grade encryption. Microsoft Edge users might have to add it manually since Astrill tends to favor Internet Explorer to Microsoft’s current browser. 🙃
- StealthVPN: Astrill is a superb choice for a China VPN because of this in-house protocol. While we couldn’t verify this, StealthVPN claims to be “even more secure and difficult to identify and block by firewalls,” and from what we’ve seen online, it appears to work. 🤩
In addition to these security protocols, Astrill VPN has also proven to be DNS and WebRTC leak-proof and offers many other security features described below.
- Kill switch: If your VPN connection fails, Astrill’s kill switch prevents IP leaks and disconnects your entire internet connection. Before continuing, a pop-up box appears asking if you want to reestablish your internet connection or reconnect the VPN.
- App Guard: It is available on Windows clients and is characterized as an “improved” version of a kill switch by Astrill. This feature prevents you from accessing programs like BitTorrent or uTorrent without a secure VPN connection. It works even if the Astrill desktop program isn’t open, and it’s turned on automatically when the computer boots up.
Onion over VPN: Astrill is also a superb VPN for accessing the deep web because of this feature. You can access any .onion website in your regular browser while connected to Astrill, and traffic will be routed through the VPN to the Tor network before returning to you. This will conceal your Tor traffic, rendering deep web activity undetectable, and it works on all Astrill servers.
Astrill VPN Speed
Astrill is a fast VPN that excels when it comes to long-distance connections. However, its slower local speeds and poor latency performance can’t quite match with the fastest VPNs overall.
By testing Astrill VPN on local networks, we found that its 19 percent speed loss comes nowhere close to the most outstanding local download speeds, which are frequently under 10%. On the other hand, its speeds are rarely slow and do not change erratically.
However, the test results of long-distance connections were phenomenal. In the United States, 81Mbps is extremely fast, and the findings in Australia and Singapore were also outstanding.
Hence, if you want to connect to countries around the globe, Astrill will ensure that you get the best possible performance with minimal latency.
Astrill VPN app
Astrill VPN is compatible with all mainstream platforms, including apps for Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Linux, and Android devices. It allows you to connect up to five devices to one account at once; however, there are no browser extensions available for Chrome or Firefox.
With the help of Astrill’s setup tutorials, you may easily configure it to a variety of different devices, including BlackBerry, Amazon Kindle, and Windows Phone.
Moreover, Astrill VPN can be installed on a router to protect all your home or office devices. Go to your account page and click ‘Router setup.’ You can use a DD-WRT, Tomato, or ASUS router.
Thus, you can presumably utilize Astrill while playing video games on consoles and streaming content from Smart TVs by installing it on your router.
Astrill VPN FAQ
Yes, Astrill VPN is an excellent choice for torrenting. This is because it has a high average bitrate, P2P-optimized servers, port forwarding, and all the security features to assure risk-free torrents, including a kill switch.
Although Astrill claims to have a “strict no-logs policy,” it does keep some personal information like IP address, connection timestamps, bandwidth usage, device type, and application version. However, this information is only stored for as long as you are connected to the VPN, after which it is permanently deleted. This allows the VPN to keep its speed without jeopardizing your privacy.
Yes, Astrill VPN offers split tunneling through its Application filter. You can use the Application filter to block specific domain names or IP addresses from connecting to the VPN (and connecting directly). The split tunneling capability is available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Android. However, this feature is not available for iOS users.
Yes, Astrill VPN offers a 24/7 live chat which is very responsive and helpful. It also has many comprehensive support articles, FAQs, and video tutorials on its website. Moreover, Astrill Wiki is another online resource with simple to understand manual setup guides for installing Astrill on different platforms. You can also get in touch with their competent staff through support email [email protected].
Overall, Astrill VPN is a decent VPN service that offers advanced security features and has excellent customer support. It is considered the best VPN for China because of its Stealth VPN feature.
However, this leading VPN service completely ignores the demands of streaming fans. Moreover, the overpriced and non-refundable membership cost and the additional cost of advanced features don’t cut it.
Furthermore, it is not a beginner-friendly service and lacks transparency reports and security audits. Hence, we won’t recommend Astrill VPN if you are a newbie and are looking for a budget-friendly VPN service.
Head of content